March 9, 2020
Hello, Spring! It’s time to get outside with the family. Might we suggest a family vacation to the Poconos? With so many fun activities for kids to choose from while you’re here, they’ll probably forget they even brought their iPads. Plus, mom can head to the spa and dad can get in a round of golf on our award-winning course.
Still not convinced? Here are some of the top reasons you should make the Poconos your next Spring family vacation destination.
1. Biking trails for kids of all ages. Whether you ride on three wheels or two, the biking trails high up in the Poconos offer stunning views and mountain fresh air that are suitable for kids of any age. Skytop Lodge offers on-site bike rentals, including trailers for your littlest kids in tow. Pack a picnic and enjoy eating as you see how many kinds of birds you can spot. Helmets are available and provided for all ages.
2. It’s easy to forget about your screens. If you feel like your kids have been too comfortable with their devices, it might be time for some inspiration. As soon as you pull onto Skytop Lodge Road, you may hear a peculiar sound. Among the sparrows chirping you along and the rush of fresh pine trees rustling a soft “hello” as you pass under their canopy, you’ll hear iPads dropping into laps and eyes looking up.
There’s so much to do here, it’s easy to forget about tracking your screen time. With 5,500 acres to explore, Skytop Lodge is the ultimate playground. From a relaxing afternoon on the lake to pulse-pounding outdoor Archery Tag, everything you need to create your perfect family vacation is right outside your door.
3. The hoppiest Easter event in the Poconos. Hop over to Skytop Lodge this Easter! Easter festivities take place on April 10-12 this year. The fun-filled weekend will be nothing short of amazing, and you won’t want to miss the eggcellent list of weekend activities, including duck races, a magic show, petting zoo, bunny Olympics, egg coloring and a big Easter egg hunt on Sunday.
At Skytop, we love helping our guests create new traditions with their families. Celebrating Easter in the Poconos is one of those traditions. We go all out for holidays and Easter is no different. Crafts, games and live entertainment will be going on all weekend long. Plus, if you’ve never experienced Easter and springtime in the Poconos, it’s a must-do for your family!
4. Swing from the trees like a monkey. Little kids, big kids, and kids-at-heart, who wouldn’t want to channel their inner monkey climbing abilities? Take in the views from the tops of the trees with a TreeTop Adventure Course. You’ll zip and fly between trees, balance as you walk over bridges, and be one with the birds. The course is definitely on the more adventurous side, but it’s such a rush of accomplishment when you finish.
Our Treetop Adventure Course, located at the Adventure Center, is just over 3,000 feet in its entirety with varying obstacles including elevated bridgeways from one tree platform to the next, logs hanging from ropes to walk across, ladders, a cargo net and a total of 16 different zip lines. You can choose to do a half or full course.
5. Discover new wildlife. When was the last time you took the time to do some amateur bird watching? Or how about just closing your eyes and listening to the sounds of the wildlife around you? While these activities aren’t too common in big cities, they’re a natural occurrence when you’re high up in the mountains. With so many hiking trails at Skytop, there’s a variety of pathways that will take you on a nature walk where you can discover wildlife you’ve never seen before.
Just a short drive from Skytop is the Poconos Snake and Animal Farm, when you can witness the unique animal species of the Poconos, like snakes, alligators, and monkeys. This is an engaging farm where kids can touch some of the animals and learn about what makes them unique. Perhaps you might see some spring hatchlings making their way into the world.
6. Get a bird’s eye view without leaving the car. When you’re this high up, it sometimes feels like you’re seeing what a bird might see. Big Pocono State Park is a must-visit when you’re in the Poconos in the spring. With beautiful waterfall hikes and lush greenery, you’ll definitely want to opt for an afternoon day hike.
What some visitors don’t know is that you can also get stunning bird’s eye views without leaving the car at Big Pocono State Park. There’s a paved, 1.4-mile, ADA-accessible scenic drive that takes you around the mountaintop. Note: check ahead that the park has opened for Spring.
7. Learn the art of handcrafting. Spring is the best time to disconnect and try a new activity on vacation. Skytop is hosting a craft weekend event, beginning April 3, designed to take you back to simpler times as you use your imagination and skills to make beautiful works of art. The weekend will be full of learning new skills such as soap making, cross-stitching, knitting, flower arrangements, and crocheting.
8. Get a history lesson in Jim Thorpe. Jim Thorpe is ideal for a day trip if you’re staying at Skytop Lodge. Located in the Lehigh Gorge, you’ll be in awe of the Victorian architecture and design elements throughout the town. Mansions, museums, and galleries line the historic streets of this storied area. Walking tours are available for those who want to see it all and learn about the haunted spots and local legends of Jim Thorpe.
While you’re in Jim Thorpe, take in the breathtaking sights of the Lehigh Gorge. A ride on the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway is a must for families. This vintage railway will take you back in time. You’ll see wildlife, mountain scenery, and seasonal foliage as you travel through cliffs and valleys.
9. Be a wizard for a weekend. Wizardry and wonder will fill the air this Spring at Skytop Lodge! Both young and older wizards and muggles can enjoy movie marathons, magical classes like Potions & Herbology, Wand Making, Night Strolls into the Forbidden Forest, Care of Magical Creatures and Quidditch games. Learn more and get your tickets for this magical weekend adventure.
10. Reconnect with what matters most. Make it a vacation you’ll never forget with an all-inclusive stay at Skytop Lodge. With hiking, golf, spa treatments and endless outdoor activities, it’s easy to reconnect as a family and make memories to last a lifetime. The Pocono Mountains welcome those who want to connect with each other surrounded by scenic beauty and a healthy dose of relaxation and adventure.
At Skytop Lodge, we make it easy to reconnect. Book your getaway and call us at (855) 345-7759 for more information or to book your dinner reservation.
Book your room online or call us at (855) 345-7759 for more information about planning your dream vacation, including spa packages and tee times.