Historic resort positioned for growth as it celebrates its 87th birthday
SKYTOP, PA. (JULY 1, 2015)—Skytop Lodge has recently made significant investments in upgrades to its guest rooms and main public areas—a key area of focus for the resort’s president and general manager this year to mark the resort’s 87th birthday.
A $3.7 million makeover of all 192 guest rooms includes enhancements to the rooms’ design aesthetics utilizing the history of the hotel and the flavor of the early 1930s era. Guest amenities and in-room technology were also upgraded. The Pine Room lobby and library are being refreshed to accentuate the original woodwork. The final touches of this property-wide update are expected to be completed by the end of the year.
In order to enhance the guest experience and position the 5,500-acre iconic resort for continued excellence, Skytop Lodge President and General Manager Douglas Hustad says those investments allow the vision of the new and improved Skytop Lodge to become a reality while staying true to the resort’s rich history. “There is nothing more important to me and our team than the authentic experience each and every guest has when they step foot on our property and the memories they take home with them when they leave,” he said. “That experience is dictated by everything from the design of our guest rooms to the personalized service they receive throughout our resort.”
Pulling from local history and tradition, each newly remodeled guest room has been designed to tell the Skytop Lodge story. With three room designs (Water, Garden and Mountain), the color palette and design elements of each room reflect the natural beauty of the Pocono Mountains. Each guest room includes a hand-painted wall covering signed by the artist, Ann McGuire.
- WATER: Inspired by the Indian Ladder Falls, these rooms incorporate blue and gray hues as well as original paintings by Ann McGuire.
- GARDEN: Inspired by the original 1927 landscape design of the Olmsted brothers who designed Skytop Lodge’s gardens, these rooms are bathed in muted tones with a nod to the local topography.
- MOUNTAIN: Using the deep red hue of the beloved West Mountain as inspiration, these rooms look out on expansive mountain views and incorporate rugged lines and hand-painted wall art.
Each newly refurbished guest room features classic furniture inspired by the 1930s era as well as updates to the bathrooms, with more shelving, countertop space and brighter lighting. In-room safes were added to each guest room, as were new “smart” TVs, bedside lamps and additional USB/outlet chargers. Suites are designed after iconic, historical figures who were instrumental in Skytop’s famed history, such as Samuel Packer, the resort’s first general manager; Harold “Mini” Callaway, the property’s original golf pro; and celebrated American landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, best known for designing Central Park and whose sons later created Skytop Lodge’s landscape design.
“It was important that we stayed true to our rich history when we began this project,” said Hustad, who drew on his own experience managing rooms for several Ritz-Carlton properties, the Peabody Memphis Hotel and Biltmore Estate, which was named among the top 150 resorts in the world by Travel + Leisure. “We didn’t want to look like we updated the rooms for the sake of updating them. Our decisions and choices were very thoughtful and true to our history, because it is important that we deliver the authentic Skytop experience every step of the way.”
MEETINGS FOCUS VOTES SKYTOP LODGE AS BEST OF THE EAST 2013 WINNER.
- 11 Easy Family Trips from Philadelphia Sept 6, 2015 Read More
- Taste of New York stays at Skytop Lodge Aug 24, 2015 Watch Video
- Skytop Lodge Announces Color Splash Dash, on March 1, 2014
- Thank you to Shake Shack for Choosing Skytop Lodge for Their Annual Retreat. Check out the Video
- Two ‘castles’ in the Poconos – By Pocono Record – Read More
- Best Travel Finds of 2014 – By RedBookMag.com – Read More
- Skytop Lodge – the real Dirty Dancing – By HipsterHenry.com – Read More
- Sunny days beneath the Skytop ice – By Rick Koval – Read More
- The Bowl overflows: Pocono tourism scores on New Jersey’s Big game – By PoconoRecord.com – Read More
- Weekend Getaway: Skytop Lodge – By NBCNewYork.com – Read More
- Skytop Lodge – A Family Winter Getaway to the Poconos – By BeautyNewsNYC.com – Read More
- Skytop Lodge featured in Travel Goods Showcase – By Travel-Goods.org – Read More
- New Year’s Eve Traditions Continue at Skytop – By WNEP.com – Read More
Thank you fans! Over 8,000 people voted, and The Pocono Record Reader’s Choice Awards for 2013 go to Skytop Lodge for the following categories:
- Skytop Lodge = Winner, Best Hotel category
- Skytop Lodge = Winner, Best Resort category
- Skytop Lodge = Runner up, Best Wedding Venue category
- Skytop Lodge = Winner, Best Golf Course category
- Skytop’s Many Green Achievements – By “Green” Hotels Association
- Kids’ Review of Skytop Lodge Adventure Center Zipline Challenge Course – By AdventuresbyDaddy.com – Read More
- Skytop Lodge: The Perfect Place to Get Your Kids Up and Skiing In One Weekend – Read Article
- Skytop Lodge: An Old School Resort Worth the Road Trip – By Mikaela Walker – Read More
- Review: Skytop Lodge – A Quintessential Pocono Mountains Luxury Escape – By AdventuresbyDaddy.com – Read More
- The Great Outdoors – Review of Skytop Lodge, Skytop, PA – Read More
- Safari For Salamanders by Rick Koval, Pocono Outdoors – Read Article
- Robbie Ventura, professional cyclist, brings cycling camp to Skytop Lodge – Read Article
- Skytop Lodge in Summer, Princeton Found – Read Article
- Chicago Tribune article, Skytop’s Concours D’Elegance antique car show
- Skytop Lodge Review by Jodi Kendall – Read More
- Pocono Record article, Skytop Recieves PMVB Green Award 2012
- Skytop Recognized with Green Award, Video
- Read Naturalist Rick Koval’s Pocono Record’s Outdoors nature columns.
- Watch Naturalist Rick Koval on WNEP’s Pennsylvania Outdoor Life and be sure to check out his piece on Vulture Watching.
- Watch Naturalist Rick Koval in the Wilkes-Barre Times Leader’s video series, Snakes of PA.
- PRWeb, Skytop: 84 Years and Better than Ever!
- A magical mushroom at Skytop Lodge – Read Article
- Snapping Turtle Babies at Skytop Lodge, WNEP TV, PA Outdoor Life – Read Article
- Robbie Ventura, professional cyclist, brings cycling camp to Skytop Lodge – Read Article
- Vedge Popping Up In the Poconos – Read Article
- Skytop Lodge Adds Grass Tennis Court – Read Article
- John Styk, A ‘Natural Resource’ of Barrett Township, Publishes Book About Good Ol’ Days of Pocono Outdoors – Read Article
- Build Team Camaraderie In The Poconos – Read Article
- Pocono Record, Adventures Await – Read Article
- Pocono Mountains PA, More Than Heart-Shaped Tubs – Read Article
- Pocono Record, Skytop’s new top man sees greatness on the horizon – Read Article
- Pocono Record, Skytop’s Naturalist, Rick Koval – 15 minutes of Magic – Read Article
- Not only celebrating the wonderful women in our lives, Mother’s Day Weekend also marks Skytop Lodge’s 85th Anniversary! Take Mother to Celebrate Skytop Lodge’s 85th Anniversary – Read Article
- The Adventure Heats up at Skytop Lodge – Read Article
- The enthusiasm and generosity of the employees is such an inspiration and makes me feel honored to be part of this team.
Skytop Raises $1400 for Down Syndrome – Read Article
- Skytop Lodge is ready to be your summer vacation spot or even just your holiday getaway.
Skytop Lodge Reveals its Summer Events – Read Article
- Choice for an ultimate spring and summer getaway.
A Taste of NYC: Skytop Lodge – Watch Video
- Home to hundreds of lakes for kayaking and canoeing…
Paddling the Poconos: Skytop Lodge – Watch Video
- Winter at Skytop Lodge is all about the outdoors and having fun with the family.
Experiencing Tradition in the Pocono Mountains at Skytop Lodge – Read Article
- Experience the ultimate retreat by visiting one of the most esteemed lodges in the country…
Skytop Lodge in the Pocono Mountains: ideas for a family getaway – Read Article
- Not too far to travel with the kids, but far enough to feel like we really are away.
Consider Skytop Lodge as an Easter Getaway This Year – Read Article
- Most impressed with how family-friendly it is as a destination property.
Skytop Lodge Lodge Review: Winter Season – Read Article
- Skytop Lodge one of the best Christmas destinations!
Top 10 Christmas Ski Resorts – Read Article
- There’s a new reason to visit and “fall in love”: Valentine’s Day…
Skytop Lodge offers incredible Valentine’s Package – Read Article
- Eight decades of New Years celebrations at Skytop Lodge…
Skytop New Year’s Tradition Holds True – Watch Video
- Outstanding choice for your next family vacation…
The Family Travel Network’s Top All-Inclusive Resorts Families Will Love – Read Article
- Skytop Lodge prepares for Thanksgiving…
Resorts Gearing Up for Thanksgiving – Watch Video
- North America’s number one resort…
Resorts and Lodge’s Top Luxury Lodges in North America – Read Article
- Skytop is truly a slice of history…
The Poconos: Where Heart Meets Tub – Read Review
- A timeless, genteel hotel nestled in the rolling hills of the Pocono Mountains…
Skytop Lodge, a Refined Family Getaway in the Poconos – Read Review
- Great fall getaway…
Best Hudson Valley Fall Getaways and Vacations in 2012 – Read Review
- Skytop dining is exceptional…
Skytop Lodge: Pocono Grandeur – Read Review
- Skytop’s endless fun for kids…
Outside Entertainment – Read Review
- Good Housekeeping recognizes Skytop Lodge as a choice destination for family travel.
- Fodor’s selects Skytop Lodge as one of the best for Mother’s Day – Read Article
- Skytop Lodge is a Winner! Skytop Lodge was awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. The award is given to properties who consistently earn top ratings from TripAdvisor travelers. With a 4.5 rating, Skytop Lodge has earned a place among the very best. We thank you, our guests, who have taken the time to share their Skytop experiences on TripAdvisor.
- Skytop Lodge receives the Pocono Mountain Convention and Visitors Bureau GREEN AWARD 2012 for excellence in commitment to preserving our natural resources and education services.